Speaking at a media interaction on Tuesday, Vamsi criticised some web-based media platforms for spreading negativity
suresh kavirayani
Producer Naga Vamsi has hit out at certain websites for what he claims is negative publicity surrounding his latest film Mad Square, which was released on March 28. The film is reportedly performing well, achieving breakeven in several areas and heading towards blockbuster status.
Speaking at a media interaction on Tuesday, Vamsi criticised some web-based media platforms for spreading negativity. “Because of my interviews, your websites and YouTube channels are running. If we stop giving interviews, all your websites would have to shut down,” he stated.
The producer singled out a particular gossip website that frequently publishes industry-related rumours. “They gave my film a bad review, yet it’s doing well at the box office. To justify their review, a reporter from the website falsely claimed on social media that my film’s numbers are exaggerated and that its success is only because another film underperformed. This is completely false,” he said.
Vamsi emphasised that he respects all reviews, positive or negative, as they represent individual opinions. However, he questioned why some websites were engaging in negative publicity despite the film’s strong box-office performance. “You thrive on the film industry, yet you fail to present facts,” he said.
When reminded that he had previously encouraged such web media outlets, Vamsi admitted to his mistake. “That’s the biggest mistake I made and I accept it,” he confessed. He even made a pointed remark about personal biases affecting film reviews: “If a reviewer has a quarrel with his wife at home, he might write a bad review. A review is just one man’s opinion, not the opinion of everyone.”
The producer challenged online media outlets, saying, “If you really hate me and my films, I challenge you—ban my films, ban me. Don’t cover my films, don’t take advertisements and don’t ask for interviews. I know how to promote my films successfully.”
Addressing rumours about inflated box-office collections, Vamsi insisted that Mad Square has earned nearly Rs 70 crore and is set to enter the Rs 100 crore club. “If anyone can prove my collection numbers are wrong, come to me with proof. I receive all figures from my distributors and they don’t send false data,” he asserted. The film has also reportedly collected $1 million in overseas markets.
Apart from Mad Square, Vamsi announced that he is distributing Retro, starring Suriya, which is set to release on May 1. He also revealed that his next production, Kingdom, featuring Vijay Deverakonda, will hit theatres on May 30. Addressing concerns about Kingdom’s business potential, given Deverakonda’s latest box-office struggles, he remained optimistic. “Past failures won’t matter once the Kingdom teaser is out. If people like the teaser, trailer and promotional content, they will shift their focus to the present film,” he explained.