The Election Commission on Wednesday ordered the transfer of several top police and administrative officers, including Police Commissioners and Superintendents of Police, district magistrates and four secretaries and special secretaries, in Telangana, reportedlyafter finding laxity in their work.
The ECI said that the transferred officers should not be assigned any election-related works until the completion of Election 2023. The Chief Secretary has been asked to furnish by 5:00 PM on 12th October 2023a panel of officials to replace those transferred.
After assessing the performance and relevant inputs, four DEOs (IAS) in Telangana — Rangareddy S. Harish, MedchalMalkajgiri – D. Amoy Kumar, YadadriBhuvangiri T. Vinay Krishna Reddy, Nirmal Karnati Varunreddy districts — have been transferred. The IAS officials transferred include Director Excise and prohibition Mussharaff; in-charge Commissioner of Commercial Taxes T. K Sridevi and Secretary Department of Transport K S Srinivas Raju.
The CS, who had been holding additional charges of Excise, Commercial Taxes and Endowment, has been divested of these roles. She has been directed to appoint an officer immediately, a full-time Principal Secretary -Excise, Commercial Taxes and Endowments. This is to facilitate daily monitoring of flow of liquor, drugs, and freebies.
The EC has ordered the transfers of 10 SPs and three Police Commissioners in the state. Of the 13 police officers transferred in Telangana, nine are non-cadre police officers. The Commissioners of Police of Hyderabad C V Anand, Warangal A V Rangananth and Nizamabad V Satyanaryana have been transferred.
The SPs transferred are those of Sanga Reddy (M Ramana), KamaReddy (B Srinivas Reddy), Jagityal(A Bhaskar), Mahbubnagar (K Narasimha), Nagarkurnool(K Manohar), Jogulamba Gadwal (K Srujana), Mahbubabad (Chandramohan), Narayanpet(N Venkateshwarulu) Jayashankar Bhupalapally(P Karunakar) and Suryapet(Rajender Prasad).
Sources said there were large-scale complaints regarding blatant misuse of money power during the recent by-election to the MunugodeAssembly seat in Telangana. The EC also ordered for the removal of the Transport Secretary, Director of Prohibition and Excise and the Commissioner of Commercial Taxes in Telangana.
The Telangana government has been directed to also appoint a separate principal secretary for the Excise and Commercial Tax Department in view of the rigorous work required during the elections.
Earlier, the Telangana Chief Secretary was holding the additional charge of the department.
During a review, the EC found that the performance of some officers was “unsatisfactory” and they were found “complacent, if not complicit” in various matters, including the illegal supply of liquor as a possible poll inducement, sources said.
The poll panel has asked the transferred officials to immediately hand over the charge to their respective immediate juniors. It has also directed the state government to send by Thursday evening a panel of officers to replace those shunted out.
Officers to handover charge
- C.V.Anand,IPS CP Hyderabad City, to handover the charge to vikram Singh Mann,IPS, Addl.CP(L&O).
- A.V.Ranganath, CP, Warangal, to handover the charge to D.Muralidhar. IPS (SPS), DCP., Crimes, Warangal.
- V.Satyanarayana, CP., Nizamabad, to handover the charge to S.Jayaram, Addl.DCP(L&O), Nizamabad.
- S.Rajendra Prasad,IPS (SPs:2016), Supdt of Police, Suryapct, to handover the charge to M.Nageshwar Rao, Addl.SP(Admn), Suryapet.
- M.Ramana Kumar, Supdt of Police (NC), Sangareddy, to handover the charge to P.Ashok, Addl.SP(Admn), Sangarcddy.
- B.Srinivas Reddy, Supdt of Police (NC), Kamarcddy, was told to handover the charge to K.Narasimha Reddy, Addl.SP(Admn), Kamareddy.
- A Bhaskar was told to handover charge to R.Prabhakar Rao, Addl.SP(Admn), Jagtial.
K.Narasimha, Supdt of Police (NC), Mahabubnagar, is requested to handover the charges Ande Ramulu,Addl.SP(Admn),
- K.Manohar, Supdt of Police (NC), Nagarkurnool, is requested to handover the charge to Ch.Rameshwar, Addl.SP(Admn), Nagarkurnool.
- K.Srujana, Supdt of Police (NC), J.Gadwal, to handover the charge to N..Ravi, Addl.SP(Admn), J.Gadwal.
- G.Chandra Mohan, Supdt of Police (NC), Mahabubabad, to handover the chargc to J.Chennaiah, Addl.SP (Crimes & Operations), Mahabubabad.
- N.Venkateshwarlu, Supdt of Police(NC), Narayanpet, to handover thc charge to K.Satyanarayana, SDPO,Narayanpct.
- P.Karunakar, Supdt of Police (NC), J.Bhupalapally, was told to to handover the charge to A.Ramulu, SDPO., J.Bhupalapally.